Honest officer I was helping the sheep get over the fence

Horse racing is in trouble again with a dreadful own goal from leading Irish trainer Gordon Elliott. A photo 'surfaced' on Sunday showing him sat on a dead horse, talking into his phone and doing some kind of victory (or 2) sign with his fingers.

The reliable medium of Twitter was divided 50/50 as to whether the picture was photoshopped. Elliott issued a statement late on Sunday confirming it was genuine, apologising and adding-

"I was standing over the horse waiting to help with the removal of the body, in the course of which, to my memory I received a call and, without thinking,  I sat down to take it. Hearing a shout from one of my team, I gestured to wait until I was finished".

Elliott is one of those trainers who have lots of horses and a high turnover. He is also something of an outsider, having no background in racing when growing up. His achievements are admirable but may well have been completely undone by this - and his "explanation" for his actions falls firmly into the "honest officer I was just helping the sheep get over the fence" category. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plenty in the Tank

Hunter Chases with Professional Jockeys

What to make of Goshen? Or Song For Someone for that matter?